CRITICAL THINKING CENTER: Mitten Squares (Latin Squares)
Use MITTEN SQUARES to teach your students deductive reasoning while disguising it as lots of fun. This product is also a great extension to your study of The Mitten. These brain teasers are square arrays of n x n rows and columns in which n items fill the cells so that no item is used more than once in each row and column. Known as Latin Squares in mathematics, they are used for statistical analysis. If they seem familiar, they should; Sudoku is a 9 x 9 Latin Square.
- 5 work mats
- 3x3 array
- 4x4 array
- 5x5 array
- 6x6 array
- 7x7 array
- 49 mitten tiles
- 7 red mitten tiles
- 7 orange mitten tiles
- 7 yellow mitten tiles
- 7 green mitten tiles
- 7 blue mitten tiles
- 7 purple mitten tiles
- 7 light aqua mitten tiles
- 3 extension work mats
- 5x5 array with several preprogrammed tiles
- 6x6 array with several preprogrammed tiles
- 7x7 array with several preprogrammed tiles
HOW TO USE THIS PRODUCT
- Copy the work mats and mitten tiles on heavy cardstock. Cut the tiles apart. I recommend storing each color set of tiles in a separate Ziploc bag.
- Demonstrate the task using the 3x3 array work mat and 3 tiles each of 3 colors.
- Distribute copies of the other boards to your students. Instruct your learners to complete the task independently, using ever harder arrays.
- Use the extension arrays to spur students who may be reluctant to abandon the “easy,” diagonal stripes solutions. The extension arrays have several tiles preprogrammed.
- Use Mitten Squares for small group instruction.
- Place Mitten Squares in a math center.
- Provide Mitten Squares materials for a sponge activity.
- Fast finishers love working on Mitten Squares .
- Mitten Squares are excellent for enrichment.
► Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches. All new products are 50% off for the first 48 hours. Click here to follow my store. You will now receive customized email updates about this store.
► Get TPT credit to use on future purchases. Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Your feedback is important to me. Thank you in advance.
CONNECT WITH ME
► Follow me on Facebook
► Follow me on Pinterest
► Follow me on Instagram
► Follow It’s About Time, Teachers blog