WRITING HOLLY JOLLY SENTENCES FOR 1ST GRADE STUDENTS
Students LOVE a good story. Afterwards, it’s the perfect time to motivate them to write. A “Simple” system that builds on itself is the best way to develop a child’s beginning skills. These mini-lessons work well with emergent and developing writers.
I recommend you might want to begin with a good fun story about Santa, like,
• The Mouse Before Christmas
• The Polar Express
• Who will Help Santa This Year?
• Jolly Old Santa Claus
• Front Cover
• Lesson Objectives
• Holly Jolly Sentence(s) Ideas For the Teacher: This page gives you, the teacher, some vocabulary ideas to help your students brainstorm a variety of “key” words they could use in their sentence(s).
• Create a Holly Jolly Sentence(s): You can use this page to demonstrate how sentences can be made from their “key” words. You can use this on your overhead projecter/smartboard for whole group instruction.
• Student Sentence(s) Organizer: On this page your students choose their own “key” words. They write them in the spaces above the appropriate boxes. Your student can then use their words to make a sentence/s depending on their writing level. You would want to demonstrate this the first few times and walk your students through the writing process. If you want this could be their rough draft copy, as a final sheet is supplied at the end of this document.
• Teacher Sentence Organizer: You, the teacher can use this as a black line master to make up your own sentence organizer design.
• Final Neat Proof Copy. Students can copy their corrected sentences and draw a picture of their writing. It can be added to their portfolio as a finished piece of work.