I am an Emmy-award winning broadcast journalist and an experienced educator and I understand the professional requirements for broadcast news. Scholastic broadcast journalists must learn these standards and conventions in order to meet the requirements for content, technical and ethical needs in fair and accurate reporting.
This lesson plan is designed to teach the specific elements of ADDING STAND-Ups to a VO/SOT package, explaining all of the elements, including:
• an Anchor Lead-In
• Reporter Stand-Up Open
• Internal Bridge
• Reporter Stand-Up Close with Standard Outcue.
• Technical requirements for how to compose the shot
This comprehensive package of materials is 16 pages long and includes:
• Lesson plan with very detailed instructor lecture notes, discussion questions, and examples.
• A companion OVERHEAD document, also suitable for distribution to students as a resource.
• A writing lab activity
• Original student hand-out “How to Add STAND-UPs and BRIDGES to a VO/SOT” with script examples, definitions, and summaries of key points.
The lesson is flexible and may be delivered in one two-hour class session or as 2 x one-hour classes.