**NOTE: This vocabulary game in particular is based on challenging vocabulary words in the book The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo.
Intended Age/Grade: My targeted Vocabulary Bingo! game is for 5th grade. This activity works well for all age groups and content areas.
Purpose: Vocabulary Bingo! is a whole-group word review activity in the format of the popular game Bingo. Students think they are just playing a game; however, they are building new words to their everyday vocabulary. Vocabulary Bingo! is extremely useful for students learning English (ESL or ELL) and students in language enrichment programs, as well as for students whose first language is English.
•Vocabulary Bingo! boards (all differently)- printed on them are new vocabulary words learning in reading and writing activities during the year or chosen from a classroom word bank.
•Definitions/clues for each word found on notecards or slips of paper for the caller to read aloud during the game.
All the vocabulary words are taken in context used in the book.
1) For the Vocabulary Bingo! strategy, words are from the book The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo.
2) Unlike traditional Bingo games in which participants cover spaces on their boards when a number such as “B12” is called, students play this activity by covering board spaces with vocabulary words on it.
3) Students must match the definitions that are read aloud by a caller to the actual word.
4) The boards can all be the same or can differ from one another, depending on the size of the group and the abilities of the learners.
5) Just like regular Bingo, students may win Vocabulary Bingo! by getting words horizontal, vertical, diagonal, etc. There are different versions to play and win by. The teacher will decide how students will win.
6) There is a FREE space!
7) A student(s) win by calling out “BINGO!”