This is a literacy unit that I usually do in the early spring. The reading materials are both fiction and non-fiction (info-fiction). All lessons, reading, and writing materials are also in a Smart Notebook file.
Arbre Solitaire writes 6 letters to 6 different birds, persuading them to live with him when they return home from the winter, because he’s lonely. The letter format is taught using a Success Criteria poster and a Procedural graphic organizer. All letters include factual information that pertains to the 6 different birds. With each letter, is a non-fiction text using features of a non-fiction text for more factual reading. A link to each bird song is embedded in the Smart Notebook file. There is also a non-fiction text about oak trees (Arbre Solitaire is an oak.)
Writing activities include letter writing tasks on a graphic organizer. There are 8 alternate literacy activities on task cards. A procedural writing about how to make a bird feeder is included. This is a great activity for Mother’s Day. This unit is also ideal in conjunction with Earth Day.
Art activities include designing personal stationery for the birds and animals who write letters to Arbre Solitaire. Torn construction paper mosaic is a great media to make the tree, nests, and birds.
Hope you enjoy this cross-curricular unit!
This French Literacy product includes:
- 7 fictional letters from a lonely tree to 6 different birds, requesting they chose to make their homes on him
- the letters contain inferential thinking for teaching inference as a comprehension strategy
- SMART Notebook file for shared reading and teaching the non-fictional portion focusing on the 7 birds and an oak tree
- Success Criteria Poster - How to write a letter
- Procedural Writing Poster - How to write a letter
- Procedural Writing Poster - How to make a birdfeeder
- 8 Literacy Activities for Literacy Centre
- letter writing templates
- worksheet for beau, bel, belle
- printing and teaching instructions
Perfect for primary French Immersion or junior Core French.
31 Smart Notebook slides, 13 pages on 11 x 17, 9 pages on 8 1/2 x 11