This product includes a lesson to teach civil rights regarding the LGBTQ community. The lesson features key laws and cases, as well as important current events of the past year. This lesson is designed for U.S. Government/Civics classes or U.S. History classes and covers the important cases and concepts AP® Government students will need to know for the exam. The lesson is included in an easy-to-follow power point presentation and includes:
- A Warm-Up Prompt (featuring the conflict between religious freedom and civil rights protections).
- An 8-question pre-quiz to engage students and assess their prior knowledge of the progression of LGBTQ civil rights.
- A notes sections that features important laws and Supreme Court cases
- A current events section that features 2017 LGBTQ current events, such as Trump's Transgender Military Ban and employment discrimination questions.
- Video Clips embedded throughout the lesson, as well as several discussion questions.
- CLOZE Notes that will guide your students throughout the lesson- includes space to answer all discussion questions and pre-quiz questions, as well as fill-in-the-blank notes.
The lesson will cover the following laws, cases, and current events:
- The 14th amendment
- The Civil Rights Act of 1964 and employment discrimination standards
- The Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA)
- Lawrence v. Texas
- U.S. v. Windsor
- Obergefell v. Hodges
- Don't Ask, Don't Tell
- Zarda v. Altitude Express
- Masterpiece Cake Shop v. Colorado Civil Commission
- Trump's Transgender Military Ban
- California's Third Gender Law (providing a non-binary option on state documents)
This product is also available in my Civil Liberties and Civil Rights Unit BUNDLE for AP® U.S. Government at 20% off.
Check out these other great U.S. Government resources available in my store:
Civil Liberties and Civil Rights Supreme Court Rankings Activity
Bill of Rights Webquest and Discussion
AP® Government Switch-Up Game: Civil Rights and Civil Liberties
Civil Rights and Civil Liberties Test: UPDATED for 2019 exam
Government Review Game: Judicial Branch (including Civil Rights and Liberties)
Bingo Bundle: Three Branches of Government
Government Review Game BUNDLE-6 Games
Passing a Bill to Law Activity
Constitutional or Unconstitutional? Activity and Outlines
U.S. Government Warm-Ups
Earn credits for your valuable feedback!
After you purchase a product, return to your “My Purchases” page and provide feedback on this product. You’ll earn credits, which will give you discounts on your future TPT purchases. Your positive feedback is always appreciated!
Visit my store and click on the green star to follow me and receive product updates: Holly's Social Studies Store.
You can also follow me on Pinterest by clicking here.
AP® is a trademark registered by the College Board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.