This poem by James Whitcomb Riley is great for general poetry study and especially good for Halloween. "Little Orphant Annie" is written in a dialect of English, and thus orphant is the poet's spelling choice. I chose a version easy to understand. Mostly there is a variance of spelling some words in other versions.
- teacher suggestions for presenting the lesson,
- the full text of the poem,
- Reading Check questions, with answers
- a page discussing terms such as line, stanza, refrain, and metaphor,
- Analysis questions,
- a creative writing assignment - an acrostic poem - with detailed directions for choosing words,
- and two decorative pages for students to use for their finished poem.
Aligns with CCSS ELA RL 1,2,3,4,5,6 and W 1
I include a puzzle page for early finishers.
See Preview for some Sample pages.