LONG VOWEL ACTIVITY SET consisting of 8 long vowel activities in 22 PDF documents. All activities are in color.
1. LONG VOWEL BOARD GAME Students draw a picture card from the turned over stack. After they have said the name of the picture, they move their token to the next space on the game board that names the long vowel heard in the word.
2. LONG VOWEL DOMINOES
Students use the laminated picture dominoes in a way similar to regular dominoes. The only difference is they aren't matching pictures, but are matching long vowel sounds. (long a pictures must be matched to other long a pictures--even if the pics are an acorn and a plane) (42 dominoes)
3. LONG VOWEL WORD SORT
Students place the long vowel word cards into the correct bee pocket
4. BEE-INGO (covers vowel pairs ee, ai, and oa) When the caller calls a word from the word cards, the student finds the square that has that incomplete word (ie: caller calls "goat", student finds the square with "g __ __t". The student marks the square by writing in the missing vowel pair to complete the word. This can also be played by a single person by matching the cards to the game board. (There are two versions of the Bee-ingo board: one has no graphics and the other has graphics. The one with graphics is the last page of the file.)
5. VOWEL PAIR PICTURE CARD SORT
Students look at each picture card and decide what vowel pair is missing from the word (ai, ee, ea, ie, oa, ui). They then place the card on the correct section of the bee pairs sorting mat. (there are three cards for each vowel combination)
6. LONG VOWEL REFERENCE CARDS
One card for each long vowel sound. cards have pictures and the letter combinations that make each sound (ie: tie, night, pipe)
7. VOWEL RULE CARDS and RULE MATCHING
Students read each vowel rule card (8 cards). They then find the word card that follows each vowel rule and match them together.
8. OW and OU SORTING Students put the word cards featuring -ow, -ou and "oddball"words (neither ow or ou) on the the correct bee hive
Long Vowel Activities by Lisa Bates
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License