I created these vocabulary cards and the following activities in order to make a clearer link between emerging literacy, content, and ESL in my bilingual Kindergarten classroom. Along with the activities included here, my students read/heard non-fiction and fiction texts about winter, went on an outside walk to look for the signs of spring, planted seeds and charted their growth, and composed LEAs about spring and their spring experiences. These experiences allowed students to practice content vocabulary in a natural context.
Included in this file are the following:
Vocabulary cards in Spanish and English for the following words:
la primavera (spring)
el paraguas (umbrella)
la lluvia (rain)
el pasto (grass)
el viento (wind)
el charco (puddle)
las hojas (leaves)
las raíces (roots)
la flor (flower)
las semillas (seeds)
el brote (sprout)
el tallo (stem)
la tierra (soil)
los insectos (insects)
la abeja (bee)
los pajaros (birds)
la nube (cloud)
la cometa (kite)
el impermeable (raincoat)
el arco iris (rainbow)
parcialmente soleado (partly sunny)
la pascua (Easter)
dia de San Patricio (St. Patrick’s Day)
- Suggested Total Physical Response motions for each of the above vocabulary.
- Two different printable Write the Room Activities (with pictures and without).
- Suggested games for practicing vocabulary in Spanish and English.
- 3 Guided Reading books (1 with patterned sentences, 2 with syllabic sentences) with worksheets containing 3 text-dependent questions for each book
- 2 class book suggestions with cover pages and 2 versions of a student writing page so you can differentiate to your students' needs.
- 1 labeling + coloring activity.