- Product Description
These 10 laboratory stations will ensure that your students have been immersed in the lab safety rules. Students will work together to solve a problem, complete a task, and /or carry out a small experiment at each of the 10 stations. This chat lab station activity covers one of the most important lessons we teach all year long …. LABORATORY SAFETY! Students will explore the lab, and draw a lab floor plan to show all safety features and exits. Students will learn about the safety equipment, such as the eyewash fountain and the safety shower. Students will learn 18 lab safety symbols that are commonly seen in science lab manuals. But most importantly, students will be immersed in a review of the lab safety rules on chemicals, heating, fire, glassware, sharps, and first aid.
I use the word “chat” to emphasize to my students that they are to work together and have a productive discussion at each lab station in order to maximize their understanding and mastery of the concepts being covered.
What is included in this product?
- 19 Pages of Student Worksheets
- 14 Lab Safety Chat Lab Station Instruction Cards
- 8 Page Teacher Guide
- 19 Page Teacher Answer Key
- 6 Additional Lab Station Diagrams
What is the purpose of this activity?
My “Chat” activities involve lab stations and cooperative student groups. This type of student interaction is a powerful teaching tool. The relaxed atmosphere of a small group setting often leads to increased mastery of the subject matter content.
The lab stations are independent of each other. Do just a few lab stations or do them all! Stations not requiring lab equipment can be completed with a sub, or as a homework assignment.
All materials are completely editable.
Check out the preview for a detailed description of each lab station and a complete materials list.
Love my chat activities? Check these out:
- Biology Chat
- Chemistry Chat
- Physics Chat
- Technology Chat
- Microscope Chat
- Mitosis (and Meiosis!) Chat
- Ecology Chat 1: Introduction to Ecology
- Ecology Chat 2: Population Ecology
- Cell Chat
What are the benefits of this activity?
- Group work is an important part of what we do in a science class, and it is a skill that will be needed throughout life. Lab station activities teach students how to work together to achieve a goal.
- Lab Stations break down the information into smaller and more manageable units. This prevents students from becoming overwhelmed when faced with massive amounts of information.
- These lab stations will ensure that your students have mastered the basic concepts of cell structure and function.
- Lab stations are a great review tool for the unit test.
- "Students helping students" is a powerful teaching tool.
What will the students be doing?
There are 10 lab stations. Students will rotate through the stations, completing the tasks at each station. Each station will highlight certain lab safety rules. Tasks will be completed by the group as well as a worksheet of analysis questions. There are 19 pages of student worksheets.
Need to save paper? No problem! Place one copy of the student worksheet at each lab station and have students complete the work on their own notebook paper.
What are the stations in this activity?
- Station: Lab Safety Basics
- Station: What’s the (Floor) Plan?
- Station: Safety Symbols
- Station: Chemical Safety
- Station: Heating and Fire, Glassware, and Sharps
- Station: Eyewash Station and Safety Shower
- Station: Fire Extinguisher, Fire Blanket, Fire Alarm
- Station: First Aid
- Station: What’s Wrong With This?
- Station: The Lab Dress Code
The 8-page teacher guide includes:
- Purpose of the activity.
- Description of what students will be doing.
- How to carry out your role as facilitator.
- Materials List
- Complete instructions for how to set up each lab station.
- Tips and suggestions for successful completion of the activity.
This product also includes a very detailed 19-Page Teacher Answer Key
Related products include:
For updates about sales and new products, please follow my store:
I would love to have you follow me at these locations as well: