Looking for a fun, engaging, versatile way to help your students review and practice beginning sounds & letters? These Letter Mazes are sure to be a hit in your classroom! They are super low prep, and can be used in multiple ways. To find their way through, students will need to mark all of the images that begin* with the target letter. All you have to do is print them out, and provide your students with something to use to mark the correct pictures and find their way through the maze. They could use markers, crayons, Bingo daubers, Bingo chips, snap cubes, seasonal erasers… anything! Check out the preview above to see a couple ideas.
These also make for great vocabulary practice, as students will be saying each object on the page out loud, in order to listen for the target letter!
You can use this resource whole group, small group, or as an independent centre. There are 25 black & white mazes in all, as well as an answer key showing the correct way through the maze for each letter.
Please take note of the following before purchasing this resource:
- There are NO mazes for the letters W and X. There are just not enough words in French that begin with these letters or contain their sounds to make it possible!
- There are TWO mazes for the letter C (hard and soft sounds). There is ONE maze for the letter G (both hard and soft combined). This again has to do with the amount of words (or lack of words) that exist that can be represented by a picture!
- *In the mazes for the letters E, I, and U, students need to look for the words that contain
the sound, rather than begin with them.
- The letter H is tricky, because it is (usually) silent. I review/create a big list of words that begin with H with my students before they start and allow them to reference it while they complete the maze.
- Some mazes have the same word twice… but with a different image of that word (where possible). In a perfect world, there would be tons of words that begin with each letter!
Looking for more alphabet resources?
Apprenons les lettres et leurs sons - affiches et cartes éclairs en français
Cartes de pâte à modeler - l'alphabet (FRENCH alphabet modelling dough mats)
Construisons les lettres - THE BUNDLE (FRENCH Letter Formation Bundle)
Dessin dirigé - Directed drawing for the French alphabet
Découpe et colle - les lettres de l'alphabet (FRENCH Alphabet Cut & Paste)
FRENCH Alphabet Poems (poèmes pour les lettres d'alphabet)
Lis et colorie - l'alphabet (FRENCH Alphabet Read and Colour)
Tracer les lettres - FRENCH alphabet tracing practice
Trouve et colorie - les lettres de l'alphabet (FRENCH Alphabet Find & Colour)
How about more resources for practicing le son initial?
Jeu/Centre - Sons initiaux (FRENCH Beginning Sounds Game/Literacy Centre)
Ours polaire perdu! (le son initial) FRENCH beginning sounds literacy centre
Pomme, pomme, petite et ronde! Game and literacy centre
Trier par le son initial - FRENCH Beginning Sound Pocket Chart Sorts
Trions les sons de l'alphabet - FRENCH Alphabet sorts
*As this is a Teachers pay Teachers product, this download entitles the purchaser to use it in ONE classroom only. With your purchase, you are able to return and buy additional licenses for colleagues at a reduced rate. Thank you so much for respecting my time and effort!*
Don't forget to click the green star by my name to Follow Me and be among the first to find out when new products and Freebies are added to my store! I would also love if you left me some Feedback, by going to your My Purchases page and clicking Provide Feedback. This gets you credit you can apply towards future purchases!