Ladybug Terrarium Observation and Research Center [DIGITAL]
- Google Apps™
Also included in
- Jump-start your library centers with this GIGANTIC bundle of ALL the library centers created by Mrs. J in the Library, including both printable & digital library centers. Plus, you get FREE updates for life!Please view the individual product previews for full details about each product's contenPrice $175.00Original Price $221.00Save $46.00
Your students can learn firsthand about metamorphosis and the different life cycle stages of insects by observing ladybugs at this research center!
While they are recording their observations of ladybugs in an enclosed terrarium, students will also formulate a question (or two) to answer. Using library resources (print, digital, or online), students will then answer their questions and cite the resources they used.
This library center is designed to be used in a school library with students in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades, but it can be used just as easily as a literacy or science center in an elementary classroom.
✏️ Ladybugs Observation and Research Library Center printable sign with learning targets (or learning goals) and "I will" statement directions
- in Google Slides format; easy-to-print PDF file format also included
- Landscape and portrait versions
- Applicable standards listed from: National Common Core Standards for English Language Arts (ELA), Pennsylvania Core Standards (ELA), and select AASL National School Library Standards for Learners (2018)
✏️ 4 DIGITAL Observation and Research Notebooks for students to take notes and answer questions in Google Docs
- in Google Docs format
- Each version has different citation requirements:
- Beginner - 1 resource required, not in citation format
- Intermediate - 1 resource citation required in MLA (or other) format
- Advanced - 2 resources required: 1 in MLA (or other) citation format and 1 with basic information
- Expert - 2 resource citations required in MLA (or other) format
- Video read-aloud directions linked in Google Doc and in .mp4 file format for students to review the center directions or catch up if they were absent.
- PDF files are also included for use with Canvas, Schoology, or other learning management systems.
- Any of the Research Notebooks can be used with students in various grades or at different ability levels to differentiate your instruction.
✏️ "How to Write a Resource Citation" tutorial/help signs for writing elementary-friendly MLA citations
- in Google Docs format; PDF file format also included
- Includes citation examples for books/ebooks, databases, and other general websites using MyBib.com
✏️ BONUS! Library Centers Routine sign
✏️ Comprehensive, Lesson Plan in Google Docs and Microsoft .docx file format, including:
- Big ideas and essential questions from the PA Library Model Curriculum
- Objectives or learning targets
- AASL National School Library Standards for Learners (2018), National Common Core Standards, and Pennsylvania ELA Core Standards
- Suggested assessment methods
- Materials needed
- Detailed procedure (great for substitutes!)
- Reflection and notes space for improvements to make next time
- Bibliography of resources used at the center
✏️ Supplies List with links for where to purchase the terrarium and/or ladybug larvae (included in the preview)
✏️ Video Directions for setting up your center and grading student work in Google Classroom
✏️ Teacher Notes with more resources and information to help you set up and use the library center in a new or existing library centers structure.
PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE PREVIEW for full contents, product photos, teacher notes, and the supplies list.
You will need access to books, ebooks, and/or online websites about ladybugs for students to complete their research. I have included both print books and online databases in the bibliography / citation section of the Research Notebooks, but a collection of reliable websites would also suffice depending on your students’ needs and research skills level.
© Mrs. J in the Library - By purchasing this product, you receive a one-user license. Copying or distributing to others is prohibited. Additional licenses for sharing with other educators are available at a discount. For teacher-librarians: You may use this product with all of your classes and students.
Still have questions?
You can contact me through the Q & A section on TpT with any questions or requests. You can also email me at MrsJ [at] mrsjinthelibrary.com.
Library Centers Digital Menu / Tracker with Learning Badges
Bird Watching (or Live Animal Webcam) and Research Library Center
Book Review Writing Writing Library Center
Trivia Question Research Library Center with Differentiated Citations for K-5
Follow me on TpT to get email updates about my store, new products, and sales!
Connect with Mrs. J in the Library