This informational text comprehension product is based on the book "Ladybugs" by Gail Gibbons. Gail Gibbons is one of my favorite nonfiction authors. I think she does an outstanding job of presenting high-interest factual information that is appropriate for beginning literacy learners, and it is particularly fun for me to create instructional material based on her work.
Because beginning literacy learners’ listening comprehension is usually so much more advanced than their reading level, it makes sense to use read aloud material to help students develop the comprehension strategies they will eventually need to successfully read and understand fiction and nonfiction text. This product includes a variety of material to be used during comprehension instruction. Most of the material is too difficult to expect beginning literacy learners to do independently, however may be appropriate for your more advanced readers to do in a literacy center.
Strategies and skills covered in this product include:
• Vocabulary - both content-related (insect/ladybug) and “tier 2” vocabulary encountered in the text – traditional fill in the blank practice as well as several unique methods for students to practice internalizing and using the words
• Sequencing – differentiated versions of putting a ladybug life cycle in the correct order
• Answering questions – differentiated practice answering literal and higher level comprehension questions including locating text evidence
• Main Idea/Details – differentiated practice determining which facts “go with” which main idea
• Predator/Prey Cross Curriculum activity based on information from the text
An Answer Key is included for your convenience.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions. I sincerely hope that this product is a beneficial addition to your instructional material. If this product looks like material that would fit the instructional needs of your students, you may like to visit my store, which features k-5th grade materials in a variety of subject areas:
My TpT Store
You may also like to take a look at some of my other popular products:
Read Aloud Informational Text Comprehension Bundle with Books by Gail GibbonsFrogs
Sight Vocabulary Word Wall Activities Words #1-#25
ABC Class Book Writing Template
End of First Grade- Beginning of Second Grade Common Core State Standards Math Assessment
End of Second Grade – Beginning of Third Grade Common core State Standards Math Assessment
Enjoy! Thanks again!