Products in this Bundle (3)
If you’re looking to apply learning in landforms, weathering & erosion, plate tectonics & more, this STEM / STEAM challenge is a perfectly engaging way to get the job done joyfully!
The basic premise:
Students work individually or in partners/groups against a list of criteria and constraints to create the nonliving surface (geosphere & hydrosphere) of the fictional planet, Planetopia.
NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
- Links to a video walk-through of the challenge & my 5-part video series on getting started with STEM challenges
- Premise & Set-up
- Materials and timing
- Modifying Criteria & Constraints to adjust challenge difficulty
- Measuring results
- Post-design extension activities list & links
- Criteria and Constraints list (two editable versions in color and B&W)
- Design Analysis Handouts (in color and B&W in two versions: 4-page expanded room for response and 2-page condensed space version for older students)
- Discussion Questions (in color and B&W)
- Planetopia Surface Features Spotlight
- Layers of Earth
- Layers of Earth & Earth’s Atmosphere
- Rock Notes
- Rock Cycle
- Pangaea Activity
- Process flow map
- Create & solve math problems based on designs
- Planetopia Landforms Writing Templates
Plus, you'll get the 1:1 version for use with Google Slides (TM). See the previews of each resource above for details.
Feel free to reach out using the Product Q&A tab.
Materials you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified. You can select a subset of the materials below and/or add your own ideas. As with all challenges, the more varied the materials, the more varied the designs!
Sample/suggested materials for each student or group:
- Foam board for parcel base (~ 12x12 in. per student)
- Construction paper
- Pipe cleaners
- Cardboard scraps
- Tissue paper
- Glue and/or tape
- Small rocks
- Raffia, moss, yarn
- Crayola Model Magic or clay
- Sequins, beans, pasta, beads
- Craft sticks
- Plastic beads
- Pom poms
- Felt or fabric scraps
- Sand Paper
- Small cups and/or bowls
- Hot glue gun
- Rubber bands
- Coffee stirrers
- Colored sand
Please don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions!