Kids love learning fun facts about animals, reptiles, insects, or birds. This is a lesson that lets them do that as they are completing several different kinds of assignments. This lesson is designed to be done by 1st graders in September since the skills they need are minimal.
You have no preparation except to have books at the literacy station about dogs when students complete the “Is, Have, Can” graphic organizer. Or students can just use the information sheet provided. Sit back then and let the students enjoy the experience.
There are two writing worksheets that go with the “Is, Have, Can” graphic organizer. One has all writing and the other has a drawing space and a writing space. You choose which you want your students to use based on their ability level.
NOTE: If you go to my store and look under “Bundles” you will find this lesson on dogs bundled in September: Farm Animals. The lessons are also offered individually but you save money by buying the bundles. September’s theme of Farm Animals contains this lesson on dogs plus one on pigs, sheep, cows, and horses.
Each lesson contains:
• An information sheet on dogs
• A cut and paste worksheet using ideas from the information sheet
• An A, B, C order page
• An “Is, Can, Has” graphic organizer
• A “Writing about Dogs” worksheet} for more able students use this worksheet
• A “Drawing and Writing about Dogs” worksheet} for less able students use this worksheet
• A Shaping Words graphic worksheet
• A “Find the Word” worksheet on words in the short o word family
Again, check out Bundles in my store to get a great deal!