Kids love learning fun facts about animals, reptiles, insects, or birds. This is a lesson that lets them do that as they are completing several different kinds of assignments. This lesson is designed to be done by 1st graders in September since the skills they need are minimal.
You have no preparation except to have books at the literacy station about horses when students complete the “Is, Have, Can” graphic organizer. Or students can just use the information sheet provided. Sit back then and let the students enjoy the experience.
There are two writing worksheets that go with the “Is, Have, Can” graphic organizer. One has all writing and the other has a drawing space and a writing space. You choose which you want your students to use based on their ability level.
NOTE: If you go to my store and look under “Bundles” you will find this lesson on horses bundled under September: Farm Animals. These lessons are also offered individually but you save money by buying the bundles. September’s theme of Farm Animals contains this lesson plus one on pigs, dogs, cows, and sheep.
Each lesson contains:
• An information sheet on the animal
• A cut and paste worksheet using ideas from the information sheet
• An A, B, C order page
• An “Is, Can, Has” graphic organizer
• A “Writing about the Animal” worksheet} for more able students use this worksheet
• A “Drawing and Writing about the Animal” worksheet} for less able students use this worksheet
• A Shaping Words graphic worksheet
• A “Find the Word” worksheet on words in the short vowel word family
(This lesson looks at words in the short u word family.)
BUT WAIT! Before you buy anything, look in my store in the FREE section and find the literacy center lesson on dogs absolutely free! You can download it and use it and see what a hit it is with your students before you buy.
Remember to check out the Bundles section in my store to get a great deal!