Use this set of 24 cards in the standard GO FISH format to develop language skills for antonyms. High quality, crisp illustrations are geared for preschool/kinder non-readers. Also included are a daily score sheet and performance summary so you can keep track of each student's progress over time. Just print these out either in color or in black and white, attach to card stock, laminate if desired and off you go! Also great to give to parents and students for home and summer work. Developed and tested by Speech Pathologists in the schools. Ideas for use:
1. Standard go fish game-deal 3 cards to each person and put the deck in the middle. Each person must ask for the opposite of what they have, NOT what they actually have. So, if you have "cry", then you must ask for the "laugh". Younger kids will need some training which is where the actual learning happens!
2. Memory game-place all cards face down on table and each person takes turns choosing two to make matches. Encourage expressive discussion of what are possible antonyms as you guess and pick cards.
3. Collect ‘em: Using a shuffled deck, the therapist says “I’ll show you a card, and you give me the opposite of my card. If you get it, you keep the card, if not, I keep it.” Whoever has the most at the end wins.
Printing tips: You have a couple options for making these into cards. They are sized to be the same as a standard playing card.
1. you can print them onto paper and glue them onto index cards, cut to size and laminate.
2. you can print them directly onto card stock and laminate.
3. my favorite is to print them on the AVERY Internet shipping labels (#48330). Then you just peel them off, affix to card and laminate. This way you can color code them by choosing different colors of index cards for different sets and all edges are securely fixed on the card, something I have not yet mastered with Elmers glue!
4. Finally, if you don't have access to a laminating machine, you can use clear contact paper.
There are other good GO FISH sets out there, and other ways to learn this vocabulary, but none will rival the convenience, portability and fun of GO FISH using these high quality, professional, engaging illustrations. Finally, all sets are tested with real kids in real schools by real SLP's in multicultural environments, so you KNOW they're gonna work