Combine independent visual skills folders activities with speech and language skills of describing an explaining. Add language skills to the visual sorting task by having students tell what they are doing;
• Have students describe the common feature of the buttons in each jar.
• Have students tell why they are putting a specific button in any given jar.
• Have students describe the fish in each pond
• Have students tell which category or size is represented in a given sorting mat.
• There are multiple activities for each sorting activity type.
Sorting opportunities include:
*color, size, shape, and/or patterns
*number of button holes