Also included in
- This bundle of Core Knowledge 7th Grade ELA curriculum covers many of the of the key components of the Core Knowledge 7th Grade English sequence, pages 175-179.I. Writing, Grammar and Usage (p. 175) B. Speaking and Listening Better Communication Skills Teaching Listening Skills Teaching$45.27$50.30Save $5.03
This bundle provides a variety of activities to help students learn the meaning of the Latin phrases (p. 179) and Latin/Greek words (p. 177) from the Core Knowledge Sequence for grade 7. It also gives a brief etymology of the Latin influences in our English language and encourages students to recognize the history contained in their everyday language. This bundle of resources is suitable for any middle school group.
This bundle contains 10 lessons which are designed to be completed over several weeks or throughout one quarter. Along with teacher directions for the lessons, it includes the following:
1. Begin with Word Origins Handout & Word Search.
- Why do We Say That? (handout on the history of our everyday language)
- Word Origins Search Directions & Rubric (editable)
2. Follow with lessons from History of English Language Timeline & Mapping Activity.
- Etymology Notes OR use Guide Map for Latin/Greek Vocabulary and Foreign Phrases (in bonus file)
- Timeline of Influences on the English language
- Mapping Activity
- Rubric & Answer Keys
3. Next is Latin Phrases.
- Latin Phrases Commonly Used in English
4. Follow with Latin & Greek Vocabulary.
- Latin/Greek Word list (with meaning & examples; 54 roots)
- Latin & Greek Roots Booklet Directions & Rubrics (editable)
- Latin & Greek Roots Booklet Template
5. Finally, use review game and test from the bonus files.
- Review Game based on “The Family Feud” with built-in timer (100% editable PPT)
- Score Cards for Review Game
- End of Unit Test & Answer Keys
Along with PDF copies, you will also be given access to links that will allow you to open the unit handouts, rubrics, and test in Google Slides. You can edit these as you like and share the files with your students. The slides can be printed and adapted for students who prefer to answer the questions by hand. You can also view and print a student’s completed version of the slides.
Your feedback is much appreciated and helps me better serve you. Please consider leaving feedback about how this resource worked in your classroom. Plus, each time you provide feedback, you earn TpT credits that can be redeemed for free and discounted resources on TpT in the future.
If you like this product, please follow my store by clicking the green “follow me” at the top of my store page, next to the logo. This will notify you about updates and new products in my store.
You can find my blog online at roostersteachingresources.com, and I can be reached by email at email@example.com.