Latin and Greek Stems and Roots UNIT ONE includes weekly lists (10 words on each list for eight weeks), a mid-week matching quizzes, as well as end of week tests (which are progressive and include stems from prior weeks). The test at the end of each week has 20 questions (except the first week only has 10 because there isn't an established pool to pull additional parts yet). For the ninth week, there is a final test with all 80 Latin and Greek Stems and Roots.
Since each week builds on the previous week, the retention of information remains high. My students will keep a ring with the stems and roots flashcards on them in their desks/backpacks and will add ten new stems each week, so that they can study ALL the stems each week, not just the new ones for that week.
Why should students learn to use Latin and Greek stems and roots?
*It is part of the COMMON CORE CURRICULUM
*Latin makes unknown English words more accessible
*Children who have studied Latin score higher on standardized tests including SAT, ACT, M-CAT
*It gives children a set of terms to help them unlock unknown words by using word parts
*Studying common Latin stems helps children with math and science vocabulary
This file is the FIRST UNIT (a total of NINE weeks).
♥ If you would like to check out the SECOND UNIT (an additional NINE weeks), click here:
♥ If you would like to purchase the BUNDLED UNIT ONE AND UNIT TWO files together at a reduced price, click here: BUNDLED UNIT ONE AND TWO
Sign up for access to my EXCLUSIVE FREE RESOURCE LIBRARY AND NEWSLETTER.
For updates on new products and product specials, follow me:
MY TPT STORE
Kirsten has 18 years of experience in elementary education. She has been a homeroom teacher for first grade, third grade, and fourth grade, as well as ESL. She has also been a school counselor for grades PK-6, an ESL pullout teacher for K-6, and a Reading Recovery Teacher. She received her Bachelor’s degree in elementary education and psychology from The University of Iowa and a Master’s of Education in school counseling from Sam Houston State University. She believes that students make the most progress when they are engaged in their hearts as well as their minds. Her resources offer relevant, rigorous, engaging content that nurtures the whole child.
Copyright © Kirsten’s Kaboodle. All Rights Reserved.
• Purchasing this product gives the purchaser ONE LICENSE to this product. This allows the purchaser the right to reproduce this product for HIS/HER class ONLY.
• Duplication for an entire team, school, or school district is strictly forbidden.
• If other teachers would like copies of this product, please direct them to my store.
• You may not reproduce, redistribute, or post this item on a blog or website for download (free or paid).
• Copying any part of this product (even for a classroom website) is also in violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
• You may not modify, copy, or alter this product in any way.
• Please feel free to spread the word about this product via social media or blog post. A link to the product (or my store) is much appreciated.