The intention of this study is to launch your Writer’s Workshop by building a community of writers who share, grow and learn together. Along with building community, this unit will set the guidelines and expectations of Writers’ Workshop. This unit will be about 20 days long. It will take the writer through the whole process one full time to produce one published piece. It’s important for students to see how working through the process can build a strong piece of writing. This unit was planned using ideas from Lucy Calkins’ Units of Study in Writing for Grades 3-5 and Ralph Fletcher’s Live Writing and How to Write Your Life Story.
Key Teaching Points:
• Who are we as writers?
What is a Writer’s Notebook?
Personalize our notebooks
• Reading like a writer
• Generate ideas for writing
o Mapping the neighborhood
o Heart Map
o People/Place lists
• Storytelling with exaggeration
• Collecting Entries in my writer’s notebook
• Creating a volume of entries
• Watermelon vs. Seed Ideas
• Choosing a Seed Idea & Narrowing the Time Frame
• Building Stories Step by Step
• Expectations of Writers Workshop
Any feedback you give about this product would be appreciated.
Please visit my blog at www.literacytreasures.com