A supplemental resource is available for this unit as well. It includes 49 pages of printable assessments, graphic organizers, and rubrics to use specifically with the descriptive lessons found in this unit! Click the link to view this resource.
supplemental resources for Launching the Reading and Writing Workshops
You can also purchase this unit, along with 7 other units, by clicking the link below. Purchasing the bundle is like buying two units for free!
Grade 2 Unit of Study Bundle
************* PLEASE NOTE ************** The mini lessons in this unit are the same as the lessons in the launching units for grades 3-6. The only difference are the grade 2 standards attached.
Launch your reading and writing grade 2 workshops with this month-long unit of Common Core lessons!
This 98 page resource includes:
1. The structure, goals, and rationale of the reader's and writer's
2. Information on Interactive Read-Alouds with a list of text to read.
3. 20 reading mini-lesson statements with Common Core State
Standards for grade 2.
4. 20 writing mini-lesson statements with Common Core State
Standards for grade 2.
5. 20 detailed reading workshop lessons (including information for the mini-lesson, reading conferences, and a share).
** These lessons also include examples of class charts.
**Lessons include management as well as reading strategies that are appropriate for second grade.
** Students also learn how to set up a reader's notebook.
** They are perfect for beginning a new school year or launching the reading workshop at any point throughout the year.
6. 20 detailed writing workshop lessons (including information for the mini-lesson, writing conferences, and a share).
** These lessons include how to set up a writer's notebook, gather writing seeds, think like a writer, etc.
** The lessons are set up to take students through the entire writing process so that they will have a finished writing piece by the end.
** Examples of class charts are also included with these lessons.
** They are great to launch the writer's workshop at the beginning of the year or at any point throughout the year.
7. Reproducible record of writing form
8. Reproducible reading conference observation notes form
9. Reproducible writing conference observation notes form
10. Reproducible reading log sheet
11. Reproducible tabs for the reader's and writer's notebooks
12. Reproducible book talk forms
13. Printable mini-lesson statements for students to glue into their reader's and writer's notebooks.
Overall, this document contains much of the information and resources needed to begin a reader's and writer's workshop in the second grade. It also describes and provides resources to set up reader's and writer's notebooks. I hope you can use this work in your classroom!!
Click the links below to see other units of study for grade 2!
Also, the links below for other grade 2 units of study.
Poetry and Figurative Language
Copyright © 2014 Jen Bengel
All rights reserved by author.
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.
Not for public display.