This unit of celebrating Deaf awareness, about Laura Dewey Lynn Bridgman, is a perfect fit for the American Sign Language student and a great tool for teaching Deaf culture studies.
Commonly referred to as the “Original Helen Keller”, this study unit includes a PowerPoint biography of Laura Bridgman that highlights her early life, communication and education struggles, overcoming barriers of hearing and vision loss, and ultimately setting the stage for the success of Helen Keller.
Bundle pack also includes:
- Fill-in-the-blank notes students can complete while instructor presents the biography presentation report.
- Several printable handouts.
- Project Report - Grading Rubric: fixed, editable & printable
- Questions about Laura Bridgman that can be answered by reviewing PowerPoint bio presentation and researching further content online.
- Based on the life of Laura, several RESEARCH PROJECT STARTERS also included that can be used with students to enhance learning of Laura’s life and their awareness of Deaf culture. Research project starters allows greater flexibility for the teacher: students can all work together on one single research project, or each student can choose different topics to work on; solo or in pairs. Outlines to kickstart projects are included and can be recycled from year to year.
- Bonus: Set of original PowerPoint background template designs.
** This activity is ONLINE LEARNING FRIENDLY
This is a great resource for your ASL classroom that can be used for all levels of sign language and Deaf culture learning!
Research project themes include:
- Anne Sullivan
- Home Signs
- Perkins School for the Blind
- Scarlet Fever
- Tactile Signing
** Please Follow Me **
Thank you for your interest. Check out all my store products HERE. ASL items are Career & Technical Education (CTE) orientated.
Want a free resource for your ASL classroom? DEVELOPING RHETORICALS IN ASL
Please rate my products from your MY PURCHASES tab which earns you TpT credits for future TpT purchases.
Looking for an American Sign Language class to love or to refer? Check us out: www.aslyoucando.com