Introducing the layers of the Earth as part of your geology unit?
Consider purchasing this unit of great materials that will make planning easy for the variety of students in your classroom. The leveled reading texts and translations into Spanish help meet the needs of all your students. Simple materials* make it easy to present layers of the Earth to your students.
When you open your zip file you'll find:
• Clearly written teacher backgrounds
with a link to a web site
with more information AND activities.
• Suggestions for ways to model the layers
of the Earth including using a hard cooked egg, a chilled candy bar, students, and paper strips. Choose the approach that fits your classroom best!
• A video
that makes it easy to demonstrate density. Saves set up and clean up time!
• A short student text
with three reading levels in English and two in Spanish. Print in color if you have that option or black line and have students color the images.
of all the texts for students who benefit from hearing the information.
• Short texts (English only) about the lithosphere, asthenosphere, and the discontinuities found in the layers of the Earth for more capable readers.
• Two PowerPoint presentations
* (one in English and one in Spanish) that show different diagrams step-by-step. Choose the ones that you need, discard the extra slides.
- choose from five different options: brief, pencil-and-paper, multiple-choice with fill-in-the-blank and essay questions (English only), a suggestion for the struggling student and a suggestion for the capable student.
Wow, it's a lot of stuff about layers of the Earth! I made an overview video
in which I explain your options. It's as if I'm sitting next to you explaining a new unit.
We have many resources for teaching about GEOLOGY
in our store!
Thanks for visiting my Simply Science store. Please take a moment to leave a comment when you purchase a product.
– • – ♥ – • – ♥ – • –
Differentiate for your math students with simple, fun games
Visit our other store, Simply Math.
– • – ♥ – ♥ – ♥ – • –
Click on the ★ next to the name of my store to follow me!
You'll receive a message when I add new products or have a sale.
– • – • – ♥ – ♥ – ♥ – • – • –
Visit my blog to find resources for new teachers
and "I'd like to teach more science" teachers!
* Copyright free or Creative Commons Share Alike - Use as you like, just don't sell the images!!
*Depending on the activities you choose, here are the supplies you might need:
Introduce the Layers: optional foam model
Model the Layers with a Cooked Egg: cooked egg, kitchen knife
Model the Layers with Candy: chilled candy bars, kitchen knife, paper plates or paper towels
Optional What is Density?: cup, oil, water, miscellaneous classroom materials
Model the Layers of the Earth: scissors, tape
Optional Capable Student Assessment: chiled chocolate covered cherries