Also included in
- This is a bundle of resources on Earth Science for Middle School. Purchase together here and save 20% This resource is designed to meet the NGSS Disciplinary Core Ideas: History of The Planet Earth, Plate Tectonics and Large-Scale System Interactions, Earth's Materials and Systems, The Role of Water$35.80$44.75Save $8.95
- Earth’s Systems Middle School Bundle: This bundle includes the resources for Middle School Science Strand Earth’s System. Students will love these engaging science units that cover all the Earth’s Systems standards for Middle School NGSS. Save 20% by purchasing as a bundle!Units include:hands-on lab$55.80$69.75Save $13.95
- This Bundle for Utah SEEd 7th grade includes science resources for each strand and standard. Each unit included addresses specific Utah SEEd standards for 7th grade. Students will love these engaging activities for Utah SEEd 7th Grade. You will love saving time by having someone creating resources w$116.24$145.30Save $29.06
- The Middle School Science Bundle addresses all the DCIs for Middle School NGSS. This is a huge resource that addresses the complete NGSS Middle School Curriculum for grades 6th, 7th and 8th grade. All the NGSS standards for Middle School Science are addressed in this bundle. Save 20% by purchasing t$298.48$373.10Save $74.62
Students will construct an explanation based on evidence for how geoscience processes have changed Earth’s surface at varying time and spatial scales and describe the cycling of Earth's materials.
The Earth's layers are interesting to learn about. Students will read rich scientific passages on the properties of the Layers of the Earth and participate in hands-on activities to learn about the composition of the Earth’s layers and how they affect changes on the Earth’s surface. This resource is aligned with the NGSS Disciplinary Core Ideas: Earth Materials and Systems and The Role of Water in Earth's Surface Processes.
This resource includes:
- four pages of informational text articles on layers of the Earth
- Response pages
- interactive notebook flaps
- hands-on science activities including a lab on convection currents
- lab pages
- QR code research
- writing activity
- answer keys
Students will develop a model to explain the cycling of materials and they will construct an explanation based on evidence to show how geoscience processes have changed the Earth's surface.
This resource is designed to meet the standard for NGSS Earths Systems:
Develop a model to describe the cycling of Earth's materials and the flow of energy that drives this process.
MS-ESS2-2. Construct an explanation based on evidence for how geoscience processes have changed Earth’s surface at varying time and spatial scales.
Utah SEEd standards for 7th Grade Earth Science:
Standard 7.2.2 Construct an explanation based on evidence for how processes have changed Earth’s surface at varying time and spatial scales. Examples of processes that occur at varying time scales could include slow plate motions or rapid landslides. Examples of processes that occur at varying spatial scales could include uplift of a mountain range or deposition of fine sediments.
Standard 7.2.4 Develop and use a scale model of the matter in the Earth’s interior to demonstrate how differences in density and chemical composition (silicon, oxygen, iron, and magnesium) cause the formation of the crust, mantle, and core
This resource is also aligned with CCSS for reading informational text (and writing) with an emphasis on reading comprehension passages and questions.
The following science concepts are addressed in this unit:
Layers of the Earth
Properties and thickness of each layer
Making a Model
How Scientists know about the layers
Making an argument from evidence
Collecting evidence and data
Please leave feedback for this resource. Feedback earns you valuable TPT credits that you can use to purchase other resources.
By Lynda R. Williams
Visit my blog
If you have questions about my resources please contact me firstname.lastname@example.org
* My resources are secure and not editable for copyright reasons.
These resources are created by Lynda R. Williams at Teaching Science
Follow me and get news of my new resources. Each new resource is discounted by 50% for the first 24 hours!
Please see some of my other resources for Middle School Science: