Have your students be a part of the learning process by visually posting their learning goals in the classroom and having them brainstorm success criteria with you.
All of our resources feature the cute Little Monster theme. These adorable little characters make learning fun.
This set includes:
- 8 blank learning goal and success criteria posters
- 2 blank learning goal and success criteria mind maps
- 2 blank learning goal and success criteria checklists (great for distributing to students for self-assessment)
- 1 blank learning goal and success criteria words and pictures poster
- 1 words and pictures poster with punctuation learning goals and success criteria
- 1 graphic organizer for teachers to document overall and specific curriculum expectations with a learning goals and success criteria chart
- 2 editable forms for teachers to enter curriculum expectations with learning goals and success criteria (pdf & Word document)
- 5 sample learning goals and success criteria posters with different examples and instructions
Review the curriculum guidelines to choose which learning goals you wish to post around the classroom.
We suggest using our posters for:
-Ongoing assignments such as journal writing (so students can review on a daily basis)
-Large assignments to help students self assess along the way (it's effective to describe their learning in incremental steps)
-Covering the duration of an instructional period, so they know what they are expected to be able to do by the end
-Use where students need a clear understanding of what they are learning (these posters are great for clearing up confusion about what students are learning; the goal is to co-create clear and precise examples of what students are learning)
-Self-assessment (checklists are great for this)
Learn step-by-step how to create learning goals and success criteria
About Learning Goals & Success Criteria
These are used in Assessment for Learning.
1. Help students to have a clear understanding of what they are learning & what successful learning should look like
2. Model descriptive feedback, self-assessment, & goal setting
3. Allow students to practice the skills they obtain (1st - with guidance, 2nd - with support, 3rd - independently)
What are Learning Goals?
Learning goals are concrete statements describing what students should know, understand, and be able to accomplish by the end of an instructional period (a lesson, unit, course, etc.). They list the knowledge and skills that students are required to master to successfully fulfill the overall expectations.
What is Success Criteria?
Success criteria outlines how to successfully attain the learning goals. It is written in language that is relevant to the students. They identify what we are looking for when assessing and evaluating. They outline the curriculum expectations, but in language that students can comprehend.
Co-creating the Success Criteria
It’s important to create the success criteria with your students. It allows for both the teacher and student to understand what is expected, sets the stage for descriptive feedback, self & peer-assessment, and helps to identify the next steps.
Try to answer the following questions with your students:
• What does successful learning look like?
• What should we look for during our learning?
Examples of Learning Goals and Success Criteria
We are learning to write a complete sentence.
• My sentence makes sense because it has:
⁃ a subject (who is my sentence about?)
⁃ a predicate (what is the subject doing?)
• My sentence starts with a capital
• My sentence ends with a period
We are learning to revise our writing.
• I am able to recognize the parts of my writing that are good (interesting) and the parts that need improvement (less interesting)
• I can improve the less interesting parts of my writing
⁃ replace, add, delete
⁃ word choice (thesaurus)
⁃ sentence fluency
• I can use resources to help me revise
⁃ word lists
⁃ red pencil or highlighter
⁃ success criteria
⁃ from peers
⁃ from teacher
***Please note that the files have been updated with extensions in the file name to alleviate issues that some buyers were having with opening some files on their computers.
Freebies, New Products, & Sales!
••• FOLLOW ME
••• and be the first to know about new products, freebies, and sales!
You will receive customized e-mail updates about this store.
Products you Might Like
• Groups and Stations
• Day Plan and Visual Schedule
• Emotions Package - Self Regulation
Bundle your Products and SAVE!
• The Ultimate Classroom Management Package