Learning Together and Working Together: Integrating STEM, Inquiry, and Social Emotional Learning is a unique unit that ties together very important learning topics. STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) is a fun, creative, and hands on approach to learning. STEM projects can be done independently, in pairs, or in a group setting. STEM materials are easy to find you use: recycled materials, lego, or other household items. And more great news! STEM can be a great way to teach social emotional learning! As students work together, with guidance, they can be learning important social skills such as: leadership, cooperation, self regulation, and perseverance.
This unit plan comes with a variety of social emotional activities to complete with your class before your students start their STEM projects. The social emotional activities will prepare your students for: how to be a good listener, how to disagree, how to cooperate with others, and how to persevere. The ultimate goal for the social emotional activities are to teach students leadership skills that will be essential when working in their STEM groups and beyond.
Additionally I have included: three unique STEM activities with directions, graphic organizers, and assessment pages, and a variety of graphic organizers have also been included that can be used with any STEM activity.
Lastly, in addition to the STEM activities, this unit comes with a variety of formative assessment pages that can be put together to make a STEM self-assessment booklet. The purpose of the self assessment pages is to encourage growth, reflection, and to document the learning journey.
I hope you enjoy teaching this unit, and I hope that your students enjoy learning with this fun, dynamic, and hands on approach!
Table of Contents:
Social and Emotional Learning Activities:
1. STEM and social emotional learning description
2. Create a poster: How to be a good listener
3. How can we disagree and still stay friends? Role playing game (includes 8 role playing cards).
4. What is cooperation? Create a cooperation mind map (includes: template and assessment page).
5. What is cooperation? Cutting and pasting activity.
6. Working together? How do we do that? Partner activity.
7. What is perseverance? Explanation and questioning poster
8. What is perseverance? Create a wordle.
9. What is a leader? Explanation poster
10. Leadership qualities graphic organizer
STEM Graphic Organizers
11. STEM challenge graphic organizer
12. The engineering design process
13. Lets work together to improve our design
14. What worked well? What didn’t?
15. Reimagine your STEM invention…
16. STEM design process: working together activity
17. Improving my community STEM activity (includes directions page, graphic organizer, and invention explanation writing page).
18. 18 STEM challenge ideas
19. STEM BINGO challenge (includes: directions, bingo card, and inquiry graphic organizer).
STEM Formative Assessment pages
20. My STEM reflection title page
21. STEM self and group reflection pages (includes: 3 different pages)
22. STEM: Self assessment planning phase page
23. STEM: Self assessment creating phase page
24. Ticket out the door template
****If you are looking for additional STEM activities or ideas about how to tie STEM into more subject areas! I have two other units that include STEM activities! My Building and Structures Unit includes a variety of different lessons that include STEM activities, and my Arctic Unit includes a variety of STEM activities that reinforce learning about the Arctic and the Inuit people.