This packet of activities was created to use with any non-fiction picture book about Johnny Appleseed.
While reading different Johnny Appleseed books students will be focusing in on the non-fiction text structures and different reading skills and strategies that will help them discover facts about this American Hero.
Included in the packet:
* KWL organizer
* Asking Questions
- who, what, when, why, where, how (asking and answering own questions as well as answering prewritten questions)
- before, during, after reading
* Author's Purpose organizer
* Johnny Appleseed analysis organizers
* Text structure - sequence
* Compare and Contrast organizer
* Classify and Categorize Johnny Appleseed
* Fact and opinion (cut and paste and write your own)
* Main idea organizer
* Story Elements organizer
* Summarize main idea or topic
* Strong thought
* Unknown word (write your own and find clues to define)
* Author and illustrator (find a sentence or picture and write what it is telling you)
* Writing paper
These pages can be used individually for the skill or strategy you are working on or can be used collectively to create a research report.
If you adjust your printing size you can also cut them down to glue into a reading response journal.
For more information and a book review on the Johnny Appleseed book Johnny Appleseed - An American Who Made a Difference visit my blog The Picture Book Teacher's Edition
Common Core Standards
K.RIT.1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9, 10, K.W.1,
1.RIT.1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 1.W.1
2.RIT. 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10, 2.W.1
Follow with BlogLovin’
Follow with Feedly
The PBT’s Edition Facebook page
The PBT's Edition Pinterest Boards
© Paper, graphics, borders & fonts created by Shawna Devoe 2013
**If you have problems downloading this or any product, please make sure you have a current version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.