I love bringing Children's Literature into the music classroom, especially when it can help kids get creative! This lesson uses the book "Manana Iguana" by Ann Whitford Paul to teach kids about solfege notes (do, re, mi, sol, and la) and experience syncopation (though we don't discuss it as part of the lesson).
This is the extended version of a lesson introduced in Pitch Hill!
In this lesson, students learn a song to accompany the book using the pitches do, re, mi, fa, and sol. Students then learn a couple of fun instrument patterns and put the song with the book. The lesson is written for 2nd grade but can be easily modified for other grade levels. This is also a wonderful way to connect with your Spanish speakers in your room!
In this resource you will receive:
• Detailed lesson plans for the lesson based on "Manana Iguana"
• Engaging PowerPoint to lead your students through practicing the melody and identify solfege in the song.
• Differentiated worksheets to work on identifying the solfege pitches in the song, "Manana Iguana."
• Rubric for Manana Iguana performance.
Download the Preview file for a closer look!!
A special thank you to Ann Whitford Paul for permission to use their character, "Iguana." If you purchase this, make sure you grab their book!
Note: The page count does not include the 20 pages of Spanish word practice in the presentation (they are a repetitive template).
For more music lessons that connect with children's literature, click here!
Be sure to connect with me to get access to the FREE Resource Library!
Be the first to hear about new releases, product updates, and amazing deals and teaching tips!
Check out some of my bestsellers!
• Maypole Mania!
• Patriotic Sing Along
• Pitch Hill - Teaching Solfege, Teacher's Edition
• Rhythm Basketball - Get your kids bouncing to the beat!
• Rhythm Coloring - Great for Centers and End of Class Activities
• Rhythm Race Bundle - Music Center and Rhythm Game
• Recorder BAG Bonanza!
• Science of Sound - Detailed Lesson Plans, Experiments, and Presentations
Visit my other store, Pitch Clips, for clip art, digital papers, and other graphic materials!
- Stay updated on new products by clicking the green star at the top of the page!
For more ideas and fun:
Visit my website and follow my Blog!
Follow me on Facebook!
Follow me on Twitter!
Follow me on Pinterest!
Follow me on YouTube!
Follow me on Instagram!
Teach music. Love life.
Want to earn FREE products on TpT and make my day?
I love hearing how products help you in the classroom! Don't forget to leave feedback on items you've purchased - you earn 1 TpT credit for every dollar spent on TpT. These really add up!!
Should you have any questions, concerns, or requests, please contact me before leaving feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org
. I want to ensure you have a wonderful experience with my products and my store!