I love bringing Children's Literature into the music classroom, especially when it can help kids get creative! This lesson uses the book "Ten Little Fish" by Audrey Wood to teach kids about writing lyrics and singing a simple Do Re Mi melody.
This is the extended version of a lesson introduced in Pitch Hill!
In this lesson students will learn a song based on the words of "Ten Little Fish," study how these words were composed, and then compose their own song based on the formula they uncovered!
In addition, an extension activity is provided for those who have technology available. Students will use the app, Story Kit, to bring their compositions to life!
You can download my free resource to accompany this lesson here!
See an example here of some of my students' creations!
Not a music teacher?
Don't worry! This lesson lends itself wonderfully as a poetry composition lesson!
In this resource you will receive:
• Detailed lesson plans for composing a song based on "Ten Little Fish."
• Engaging PowerPoint to lead your students through uncovering the formula for composing the lyrics.
• Composition papers to guide your students writing lyrics. Differentiated versions are available.
• (Note: Both the Composition Papers and PowerPoint come in a "Compose a Song" and "Compose a Poem" version).
• Editable rubric for the Story Kit creations your students produce.
• Don't forget to download the accompanying Story Kit Guide here!
The detailed, editable lesson plans were written ready to print for the general music room, but could easily be adapted to the general education room with a quick switching of standards. Currently the Georgia GPS music standards for 2nd grade are marked; the National Music Standards and Common Core Arts Standards are included and can be swapped with a simple copy and paste.
Download the Preview file for a closer look!!
A special thank you to Bruce and Audrey Wood for granting permission to use their text in this product. If you purchase this, make sure you grab their book!
These lesson plans are licensed for use by one teacher. If you would like to use them on your grade level, please purchase multiple licenses!
Check out some of my other lessons with children's literature!
Check out some of my bestsellers!
• Maypole Mania!
• Patriotic Sing Along
• Pitch Hill - Teaching Solfege, Teacher's Edition
• Rhythm Basketball - Get your kids bouncing to the beat!
• Rhythm Coloring - Great for Centers and End of Class Activities
• Rhythm Race Bundle - Music Center and Rhythm Game
• Recorder BAG Bonanza!
• Science of Sound - Detailed Lesson Plans, Experiments, and Presentations
• Rainbow Ukulele Curriculum
Visit my other store, Pitch Clips, for clip art, digital papers, and other graphic materials!
- Stay updated on new products by clicking the green star at the top of the page!
For more ideas and fun:
Visit my website and follow my Blog!
Follow me on Facebook!
Follow me on Twitter!
Follow me on Pinterest!
Follow me on Instagram!