This set retells the legend of the Christmas stocking. How did the tradition of hanging a stocking on Christmas Eve begin? There are many versions, but I chose this one to begin a conversation, and thoughts about the popular tradition.
**Please note: Although this has no religious reference, you may have students who may be uncomfortable reading about the Christmas stocking due to personal beliefs. However, if You present this as a story handed down over centuries, a legend, it should not be in conflict with anyone's beliefs.
1. Read a passage, based on one version of the legend of the stocking.
2. Review vocabulary/ bold text in the passage for comprehension.
3. Write about the legend based on the text.
4. Write their own version of the story...or create a new legend.
5. Tell about a tradition that is important in their family...
6. Determine if the story is based on fact, fiction, or both.
7. Think beyond the text...(I.e., Why were the first stockings just regular socks?)
8. Write sentences using synonyms or meanings of vocabulary words used in the text.
Answer keys are provided for the writing activities that relate to the text.
Opportunities in this packet include open-ended writing for creative writing and thinking, as well as writing responses based on the text.
Common core links included are for grade 3, literature, narrative writing, and language (vocabulary use)
Thanks for stopping by!