This science unit on ’Les bateaux & la flottabilité’
was designed to compliment your current french immersion science program. All student printables are in French, teacher answer keys are in English. Learning about boats and what makes them buoyant is a great opportunity for students to problem solve, make connections, scaffold learning, and apply concepts to the real world.
The activities in this resource are presented in a sequential way. It can be printed off as a student workbook. There are no lessons per se, as the resource is more about discovery, and hands-on activities in order to learn about boats and buoyancy. It is important for the students to talk and write about their observations. There is plenty of opportunities for your students to build connections and revise their ideas.
- explore floating and sinking
- put materials together so they will float, carry a load and be stable in water
- modify a watercraft to increase the load it will carry
- modify a watercraft to increase its stability in water
- evaluate which materials would be the best in the construction of a watercraft (taking into account -waterproof, buoyancy, stability)
- design a watercraft so it can be propelled through the water
- research the Bluenose schooner
- do a PBL on the Titanic
- self assessment
- boat building rubric
- show what you know assessment
- online activities including labelling a sailboat, researching the Bluenose and the Titanic
Please feel free to share with other teachers at your own school but please purchase additional licenses to share with others.
Other French Science Resources:
Science units in a bundle: French Science Inquiry BUNDLE
Les Aiments - A French Science Inquiry Resource
Explorons les liquides - A French Science Inquiry Resource
Les bateaux & la flottabilité- A French Immersion Science Resource
Les températures chaudes et froides - A French Science Inquiry Resource
I appreciate your feedback! If you have any ideas or concerns, please email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
To receive email notifications from TPT about temporary discounts on my new product listings, just click the “FOLLOW” button at the top of THIS PAGE
(near the green star).
Please follow me on Teachers Pay Teachers as well as social media - find out first about new products and sales!!
Mummabell on Pinterest
Mummabell on Instagram
Check out my French Immersion Social Studies products as well:
Competences en Cartographie
Qu’est-ce qu’une communauté?
Une Aventure a Meteghan
C’est Le Printemps à Saskatoon
Paquet de 3 unités du programme d'études sociales de 2e année
Une communauté dans le passé
FRENCH Social Studies Complete set