This is a full and comprehensive Five Senses unit, designed specifically for first grade. Simply read the teacher's guide, print the lesson materials, and go! Assessment masters and lesson aids are also included, which saves you valuable planning time. This unit features simple language and fun graphics that are sure to delight your students!
THIS IS THE FRENCH VERSION. Please click HERE
to view the ENGLISH VERSION.
⚠️ PLEASE NOTE:
I am not a French speaker. This unit has been translated and proofread by a third party. To save time and money, I have decided not to translate any of the pages meant exclusively for teacher reference. All student activity pages and visual aids have been translated.
Green ✅ below indicate French, while red ❌ indicate English.
OUTCOMES & ACTIVITIES:
1. Identify the five senses.
✅ My Five Senses
2. Identify ways that our senses contribute to our safety and quality of life.
✅ Safety & My Five Senses
✅ Sensational Senses x2
3. Describe characteristics such as size, shape, colour, texture, smell, and sound.
SIGHT close reading passage
Eyes shape book
Using my Sight x2
HEARING close reading passage
Ears shape book
Using my Hearing x3
✅ What's That Sound?
SMELL close reading passage
Nose shape book
✅ What's That Smell?
TASTE close reading passage
Mouth shape book
✅ What's That Taste?
TOUCH close reading passage
✅ Senses Word Search (with answer key)
✅ Listen and Choose
4. Recognize the limitations of our senses and understand that our senses may mislead us.
✅ Optical Illusions PPT
5. Recognize that animals have senses and identify ways that they are used.
✅ Animal Super-Senses
✅ Group project idea
6. Describe ways that people adapt to limited sensory abilities or to the loss of a particular sense.
✅ People Adapt
7. Describe ways to take care of our sensory organs.
✅ Cleaning my Eyes and Ears
❌ Twelve page teacher's guide featuring a unit overview, lesson plans, materials/pacing guide, and relevant video links
✅ Assessment masters (✅ self-assessment, ✅ quiz, ❌ teacher script, ✅ answer key)
✅ Image prompts
✅ Create-your-own vocabulary cards (PDF template)
✅ Sense posters (colour and B&W)
View the PREVIEW
file for a closer look at the unit (not all pages shown).
I've aligned this unit with the Alberta curriculum, though many of the outcomes may overlap in your home province or state.
Thank you for your interest in this resource!
CONNECT WITH ME: