I use this activity and worksheets to completely TEACH dominant and recessive alleles and using Punnett squares to predict inherited traits. To expose my students to the work of Gregor Mendel, who is the founder of the field of genetics, I use his findings on pea shape and color as the example traits.
In this activity students will use craft sticks to represent alleles of two different traits: pea shape and pea color. Results of random selection of alleles are recorded in the data tables and the teacher leads students through the formation of Punnett squares and probability analysis.
This packet contains:
1. Complete lesson plan and directions for the teacher, divided into 5 parts
2. Three worksheets with embedded notes and student directions
3. One Check Your Understanding informal assessment
4. Directions for labeling the craft sticks
5. Complete answer key
• 4 craft sticks for each pair of students with the Rr alleles
• 4 craft sticks for each pair of students with the Yy alleles
• Lesson worksheets
• Internet access for video on Mendel