Let’s THINK About Feelings, Emotions, and Stress is Volume #1 in the series, Cognitive Behavioral Support for Young Hearts and Minds. This volume sets the foundation for self-awareness and mindfulness with activities to help children
1) accurately identify stressors in their lives
2) differentiate between facts and thoughts,
3) identify and articulate emotional responses to upsetting events,
4) differentiate between healthy and unhealthy stress and
5) learn about four categories of coping strategies that can help them cope with stressful situations and emotions.
With developmentally appropriate cognitive behavioral therapy activities, mental health clinicians can help children become mindful of their own internal processes. When upsetting events occur, this mindfulness allows children to accurately identify stressors and monitor their emotional reactions. Once this level of self-awareness has been achieved, children can then learn CBT strategies for calming their automatic reactions and thinking more flexibly.