*PDF in black and white (helping teachers save money on color copies :) ).
The student will match phonemes to graphemes.
Capital letter puzzle piece
Lower case letter puzzle piece
CVC word puzzle piece
Initial sound objects or picture puzzle piece.
Students match initial sounds of pictures to letters while playing a puzzle game.
1. Scatter puzzle pieces face up on a flat surface.
2. Student matches the capital letter card to the initial sound picture card. names the picture on the card, and says its initial sound (i.e., “lamp, /l/”).
3. Looks for a puzzle piece with the lower case letter that corresponds to the initial sound, names it, and says its sound (i.e., “l, /l/”). Connects the puzzle pieces.
4. Student looks for the puzzle piece the contains the CVC word that corresponds to the phoneme in the puzzle. Reads the word the (optional). Connects it to the puzzle.
5. Continue until all puzzles are connected.