Letter Identification INTERVENTION: Insect Theme
A method of learning letters that WORKS for visual students such as those with Down Syndrome, autism, hearing impairment and more.
The Match, Select, Name method teaches letter identification using a “top down” approach that teaches WORDS first, then LETTERS.
PART 1: students learn 45 words, including 26 “high interest” (INSECT THEME) keywords. Stories including these words include:
Unit 1: Insects that Leap
Unit 2: Insect Colonies
Unit 3: Beetles
Unit 4: Butterflies
Unit 5: I Spy Insects
PART 2: students learn to name and identify letter names using the “high interest” keywords.
Do you have students with Down Syndrome, autism, hearing impairment, intellectual disabilities or other challenges who haven’t been able to learn how to read despite years of instruction in phonics?
Do you have students who still have not mastered their letter names and/or sounds?
Do you have students who have “given up” on learning how to read?
There is an alternative! A reading method that can teach struggling readers to read in just a few minutes! It’s called…Match-Select-Name.
The Oelwein Method
This literacy method was developed by Patricia Logan Oelwein and has been backed up by years of research. Match, Select, Name builds on the visual skills of students with Down Syndrome, autism, hearing impairment, intellectual disabilities and more.
Students learn to read by visually matching, selecting and naming the WHOLE word. Students do not sound out the individual phonemes. In this way, they can read words with irregular spellings just as easily as decodable words. It reinforces the fact that “words have meaning” and are not just part of an isolated exercise of phonics rules, symbols, and sounds. Within minutes, students have success and join the community of readers.
After students have acquired a 40-50 word, sight word vocabulary, letter names are taught using the Match, Select, Name method.
Phonics is an auditory strategy that is difficult for students who have problems with hearing, language, and short term memory. For these students it is difficult to HEAR, ARTICULATE and REMEMBER the slight differences between sounds.
Using Match, Select, Name students learn words visually as a whole rather than looking at individual letters that they then have to translate into sound and blend.
Do we give up on phonics? NO! But this method gives students a jump start that can provide the spark to becoming a reader. Match, Select, Name can be taught alongside any traditional reading program. Students often have an increased interest in learning phonics after experiencing success with this method.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
1. Match- Students physically match two of the same word (or letter).
2. Select- Student points to the word (or letter) called.
3. Name- Student independently names the word (or letter) on the card.
Then...student successfully reads a story that includes ALL the words learned in match, select, name!
Who Can Teach Match-Select-Name?
Match-Select-Name is a direct, specific, explicitly taught program for one to one teaching. It can be taught by special education teachers, inclusion teachers, speech therapists, tutors, reading teachers, paraprofessionals, parents, family members and more.
PART 1: Teaching the High Interest Sight Words
1. Match-Select-Name Instructional Routine for teaching: Print on cardstock, laminate or place in page protectors and attach with a ring for easy access to instructions.
2. Instructions for Practice Games: These are intentionally selected to integrate students learning this program with typical students.
3. 5 Double Sets of Large Font, Uncluttered Flashcards for Match-Select-Name (Print on cardstock, cut, laminate if desired).
4. 5 Cut and Staple Stories that include all 45 sight words, including the 26 high interest words to teach letter names. Print extra copies for home and school.
5. 5 Big Block Cut and Paste Worksheets for matching words/pictures from the story. Only four words/pictures to a page for easy cutting and pasting. Perfect for independent work or homework.
6. 50+ Clip It Cards one for each word in a story: Student finds the matching word out of 3 choices and attaches a clothespin or sticky note to it. (Print on cardstock, cut in half, laminate if desired).
7. 5 Roll and Read Fluency Sentence Sheets: One for each story. Student rolls the die and reads the sentence next to the number on the die. (Print on cardstock, laminate if desired).
PART 2 Teaching the Letter Names
1. Match-Select-Name Instructional Routine for teaching letter recognition: Print on cardstock, laminate or place in page protectors and attach with a ring for easy access to instructions.
2. Large Set of Alphabet Keyword Picture Cards: 26 cards include a high interest insect name and picture for each letter of the alphabet. (Print on cardstock, laminate if desired).
3. Matching Upper and Lowercase Letters for Alphabet Keyword Picture Cards above. (Print on cardstock, cut, laminate if desired).
4. 7 Big Block Cut and Paste Worksheets for matching words/letters. Only four words/letters to a page for easy cutting and pasting. Perfect for independent work or homework.
5. 7 Sets of Letter Lotto Games: To practice matching upper and lower case letters. (Print on cardstock, cut, laminate if desired).
6. Keyword Desk Alphabet Strip : To teach the sequence of letters and review of letter names. Print on cardstock, cut into strips on dotted lines, tape and laminate to make one long strip.
7. Matching Keyword Desk Alphabet Strip Cards : Print on cardstock, cut into individual cards and laminate if desired.
8. 7 Sight Word Sorts: For practice and review. Print on cardstock, cut out individual lotto cards, laminate if desired.
9. 26 Letter Finds: Students highlight, circle, or dob (with a bingo dauber) a letter in different fonts and sizes. This encourages transfer or generalization of the skill.
Review this product and you will get TPT credit to use on future purchases!
1. Log in
2. Go to “My Purchases” page
3. Click the “Provide Feedback” button next to the product you purchased
4. Give a rating and a comment for the product.
MORE PRODUCTS USING THE MATCH-SELECT-NAME METHOD:
READING INTERVENTION:Match-Select-Name (Down Syndrome, autism and more)
Science-READING INTERVENTION:Match-Select-Name (Down Syndrome, autism and more)
Fall-READING INTERVENTION:Match-Select-Name (Down Syndrome, autism and more)