This is a fun and engaging literacy activity which can help students make the connection between lowercase letter shapes and their sounds (phonics). To do this activity, students need to make a letter using play dough and then place it on the mat. They then need to find two picture cards that start with that letter and place them onto the mat. Please preview this product to see photos of this pack being used.
Included in this pack:
1. Information about the benefits of using play dough mats with picture cards
2. Set up instructions
3. Instructions for use
4. Tips and suggestions for teachers and parents
5. 26 play dough mats, 1 for each lowercase letter of the alphabet
6. 52 picture cards, 2 for each letter
*Please note, for the letter ‘X’ there is one picture that starts with ‘x’ – xylophone and one picture that ends with ‘x’ – fox)
How this product can be used:
Use this activity in Literacy Centers, for students who need a multisensory approach to their learning, as a fast finisher activity, as a whole class activity (each student could have a different letter mat and when finished, students could swap their mat with a partner) or as a fun lesson at home with your own children.
Play dough mats with picture cards are a great learning resource. Here are some of the benefits:
• Engaging for Learners: Play dough provides students with a hands-on, multisensory approach to learning. It is a fun and engaging learning tool.
• Memorable Learning: By physically manipulating the play dough, students can easily become familiar with and create the shape of the letters, making their learning more memorable.
• Phonics Focus: Students are required to focus on the sounds that the letters make in order to do this activity. By thinking about the letter sounds (rather than the names), students build up their knowledge of phonics, which is an important foundation for learning to read and write.
• Problem Solving Leads to Stronger Connections: Students are required to apply their knowledge of letter sounds in order to find pictures that start with those sounds. By requiring students to problem-solve in this way, students make a strong mental connection between letter shapes and sounds.
This pack has been created to be used in different regions. This product may also be referred to as: letter play dough mats, alphabet play dough mats, phonics play dough mats, English task cards, literacy task cards, phonics task cards, spelling task cards, multisensory spelling, play dough spelling, play doh mats.
You may also like:
Counting Apples: Play dough mat and mathematics task cards
a complementary Learning Sprouts product.
Thank you for your interest in my product!
Find me on Facebook and Pinterest for even more offers, activities
and inspiration www.facebook.com/learningsprouts