Products in this Bundle (5)
All the materials you need for a successful Letter of the Week theme in your special education classroom or speech therapy!
There are so many great reasons to use a "letter of the week" approach with early language and pre-literate learners including:
- Easy to organize literacy, crafts, and activities around a new letter each week.
- Simple to remember for staff and families as they work with students in a variety of settings.
- Provides ideas for more than half of the year (we just repeat the alphabet 2x to get through the full year).
- Builds off of previous letters so you can have repeated practice all year long (never abandon one letter once the week is over!).
- Buy in from administration as to how a classroom is working towards Common Core Standards
I have led 30 minute circle time activities for special education classrooms for nearly 20 years. Many have wondered how do you do it? To help you all out, this bundle contains all the materials that I have created (plus examples) and use daily to teach core vocabulary, language, social skills, and pre-literacy skills!
Need more info? Check out these blog posts that I have written about Letter of the Week and working on core vocabulary and early literacy for students with complex communication needs:
- Learning Core Words One Letter at a Time
- Shared Reading as Evidence Based Practice
- Literacy Interventions in Speech Therapy
- 5 Ways to Teach the Alphabet
- Circle Time in a Minimally Verbal Classroom #1, #2, #3
- Alphabet Based Concepts for Language Learning
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Hi! I'm Dr. Cheri Dodge Chin. I have a clinical doctorate in speech-language pathology and 20+ years of experience helping children, educators, and families develop speech & language skills. I began my blog, Super Power Speech, in 2008 with the hope of engaging other speech pathologists and passing on ideas and resources. The blog is now recognized as one of the first SLP blogs in the world and has been nominated for multiple awards. While browsing, make sure to check out my courses and resource library with over 50 FREE downloads! Aside from flying around and trying to save the world, you can find me reading, running, or eating dessert.
⭐️⭐️ SUBSCRIBE HERE for access to my library of free speech materials.⭐️⭐️