Sometimes we are so busy teaching to the test that we leave out some of those important life skills, like how to properly file a complaint. Many students don't understand that "you catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar" and do not know how to file a complaint adequately.
This would be a great "anytime" mini writing unit for high school students.
In this mini unit, you will find the following:
1) A journal and brainstorming/class discussion guide
2) A sheet of notes (with a sleek modern design) explaining how to write a letter of complaint and what to include/not include
3) An activity titled "More Flies with Honey" where students practice saying or adding something nice in order to soften the blow of complaint.
4) Two sample letters of complaint- a good one and a bad one
5) Two templates for students to use while drafting their own letter (or e-mail/phone call) of complaint
This whole process took my students about two 65 minute class periods.