PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Student Journal | Encouragement Journal | Teacher Student Notes | Teacher Student Communication Journal | Behavior Journal
During one especially difficult year, I began using a student-teacher journal with one of my students. She had difficulty expressing herself verbally without losing control, but I discovered that she was able to communicate through writing. We began writing notes to each other – she when she needed a time out and me in response to her or when I knew she needed some encouragement. The journal writing broke down barriers between us and helped to establish a trusting relationship.
Use this Encouragement Journal however you need to with your students. Use it only with students who need it, as I described above, or as a way to communicate with your entire class throughout the year. Have students write about what’s bothering them or simply have them write a letter to wrap up their week. The possibilities are endless!
Each set of pages includes a sheet where students write to you and a sheet where you can respond. On the bottom of each student page, there is an inspirational quote to encourage them. There are 36 student pages – one for each week of the year - with extras you can use to expand if you need.
The journal itself is very simple - no graphics and very little text. This was an intentional choice so that students can make it their own.
Want to change a quote? Simply use the editable Google Doc to make the journal your own.
This Encouragement Journal includes:
1. . Notes explaining what is included and how to use the materials in your classroom.
2. . Two options included.
3. . 36 two-page sets of writing pages. Each set includes one for student writing and one for the teacher. Student pages include inspirational quote. (Lines are spaced more closely together and inspirational quotes are in a script font.)
4. . These are formatted exactly like the Upper Elementary version, but don’t contain quotes or page numbers. Use these to expand the journal, if you choose.
5. . 36 two-page sets of writing pages. The same general layout and quotes as the upper elementary journal. This version contains wider-spaced lines for writing and a student-friendly print font for the quotes.
6. . These are formatted exactly like the Primary version, but don’t contain quotes or page numbers. Use these to expand the journal, if you choose.
7. . Two versions included – one for younger students and one for older. If you choose to use this as a weekly response journal with your students, you can choose to use these covers to divide the pages into monthly sections. Simply place 4-5 pages between each monthly cover.
8. . Contains sheets that look similar to this printable PDF and offers you the flexibility of making the text your own.
Looking for other ways to help manage behaviors in the classroom? See my Classroom Management Category where you’ll find:
Leaving encouraging notes for students is one of the best ways to build a positive classroom environment. Let students know you notice when they make great choices with these motivational notes. 24 original notes are included - with two versions of each (one version contains clip art and the other has no graphics). Some notes encourage kindness, while others reinforce a growth mindset. You choose which notes work best for your students. And if none work for you, use the included editable Google Doc to make your own.
A quick and simple way to redirect attention from what’s negative to what is positive in your room. Students love having their good deeds noticed and soon you will see your board overflowing with praise!
Encourage students to reflect on and take responsibility for their own choices throughout the school day with this simple free tool.
Thanks for stopping by my store and taking a look! Please contact me with any questions you have before purchasing.
Want to receive updates and discounts on newly listed products? Click the star by my name to follow my store. Subscribing to my newsletter will give you access to exclusive free resources, advance notice of special events, as well as occasional updates to posts and products.
© 2018 Jennifer Martinez, everything just so. All rights reserved. License permits individual use in a single classroom only. To share with friends, please point them to this page to download their own copy. No part of this work may be reproduced in any way or by any means without expressed written consent of the author. Thank you for helping to protect my work!