In this inquiry activity, students use beads as valence electrons to discover and visualize how atoms transfer or share electrons to form ionic and covalent bonds. It also provides an introduction to formula writing.
This PDF by Hoop There It Is includes:
- Teacher instructions and lesson plan (pg. 2-3)
- Student lab handout (pg. 4-5)
- Lewis Dot Cards printable (pg. 6)
- Examples and photos (pg. 7-9)
- Sample lab sheet/answer key (pg. 10)
This lab will challenge even your most advanced students as an introduction to bonding, and the manipulative Lewis Dot Structures will help make abstract concepts concrete for students.
If you like this activity, you and your students may also enjoy my Atoms & Molecules Manipulatives Activity, which uses beads to represent atoms of elements that join to form molecules of compounds.