This mini-unit includes all you will need to close read about the Liberty Bell. It includes 4 levels of printable differentiated student text as well as a teacher text for modeling text coding. This mini-unit is designed to teach primary age students how to close read, take notes, and write about text. Lessons are project based. You begin by reading the students a letter from the National Park Service. Students are engaged as they help the park rangers create a documentary. Students use their new knowledge from the close read and note taking to write a script and film a documentary. Students practice speaking and listening skills. The mini-unit consists of a 3 part close reading lesson, interactive drama, writing activity, and an optional art project.
During this lesson the students will:
-Listen as the teacher reads aloud the teacher text about the Liberty Bell (text provided)
-Code text with the teacher (text and coding answer sheets are provided)
- Answer and discuss text dependent questions (questions provided)
- Talk about the text with others
- Read differentiated text about the Liberty Bell with partners (4 different levels are provided)
- Code text with partners using differentiated printable books
- Take notes on the Liberty Bell using a note sheet (note sheet provided)
- Write a documentary about the Liberty Bell using their notes (documentary script sheet provided)
- Synthesize their deeper understanding of Liberty Bell by acting as a tour guide to present the Liberty Bell Documentary to the class (documentary slide show and costumes provided)
- Assess the quality of their documentary (checklist provided)
-Make Liberty Bell pottery (instructions provided)
- Step by Step Lesson Plans
- Printable Teacher Text
- Text Dependent Questions for Liberty Bell teacher Text
- Printable Student books (4 different levels)
- Close Reading Anchor Chart
- Student Note Sheet
- Documentary Script
- Documentary Slide Show
- Writing assessment/checklist
- Interactive drama printable costumes
- Art project instructions
You can also purchase our American Symbols Pack
which includes 4 different American Symbols at a discounted price.
Or you can purchase each symbol individually
The Statue of LibertyThe American FlagThe Bald Eagle
Do you find yourself asking, “What is Close Reading?” Visit the Core Coaches blog post
to find out more!
We would love to hear from you! Please remember to earn your free TpT credit by leaving feedback when you purchase!
Follow us to get updates on our newest products!
@thecorecoaches on Instagram
@Core_Coaches on Twitter
The Core Coaches on Facebook
The Core Coaches on Pinterest
For helpful tips, hints, and classroom strategies check out our blog!
The Core Coaches Blog