This pack of resources is perfect for your K and grade 1 library students! These will help you to assess and reinforce your lessons on ABC order, arranging nonfiction books by subject, and identifying fiction, nonfiction, and easy reader call numbers.
Five different activities are included:
1. Cool Call Number Cats - A worksheet that asks students to color code some cute cats based on the type of call numbers on their bellies (easy reader, fiction, or nonfiction). Two versions of the SAME activity are included - one with "FIC" as the first line of a fiction call number and one for libraries that use "F" as the first line of a fiction call number. This pairs nicely with any of your favorite cat read alouds!
2. Where Do These Books Belong? - An activity in which students cut out and group books about four different subjects and then glue them in the right places on another page.
3. Easy ABC Order: Sorting Colors - This is a quick assessment of students' understanding of alphabetical order. Students simply write four colors in ABC order.
4. Butterfly Color by Call Number - Students color code an adorable butterfly based on the call numbers in each area of the butterfly. This helps to reinforce lessons on differentiating between easy reader, fiction, and nonfiction call numbers. Two versions of the SAME "color by call number" activity are included - one with "FIC" as the first line of a fiction call number and one for libraries that use "F" as the first line of a fiction call number.
5. Polite Words ABC Order Practice - In this activity, students arrange five words/phrases in ABC order and glue them on another page in the correct order. The words and phrases are all "polite" words such as "please," "thank you," and "excuse me." This works well when reading Please, Mr. Panda by Steve Antony or when discussing manners with your students.
All of these worksheets are perfect for students to complete independently during book checkout time or in library centers.
You can save money on this resource! If you are interested in this resource AND are looking for more activities for your library students in kindergarten and first grade, check out my DISCOUNTED Library Skills Bundle for Kindergarten and First Grade
, which includes this product AND two of my other library skills products for your youngest library students!