Matching terms and definitions is old news. For students to master academic vocabulary, they need to be exposed to terms many times in different ways. When we provide students the opportunity to review vocabulary through games and discussions, students win.
The activities included are simple but tried and true methods to increase students’ retention of academic science vocabulary.
My goal is to keep things light and fun, allowing students to work on their vocabulary in a variety of ways in a low-stress environment. JUST 5 MINUTES a day can keep new words fresh in students’ minds.
No printing. No worksheets. Just talking about words.
This is a non-editable PowerPoint file. Each activity has one slide and directions on how to use the activity in the Notes part of the slide as well as at the beginning of the document.
About This Resource
• Use this resource after terms have been introduced and used. This is intended for the review of vocabulary, not the introduction of new vocabulary.
• The order you use these in is up to you. Feel free to skip around based on your data and revisit the same topic throughout the year.
What kind of activities are included?
These activities are short and sweet for the end of class or when transitioning. Each takes about 5 minutes once students understand how the activities work. These are the types of activities included. Directions for all activities are included in the file.
• Creating chants
• Concept Building
• Concept Mapping
• Fill-in-the-blank Relay
What terms are included?
Release of seeds
1. Most of the activities require nothing more than the slide and some scratch paper or a dry erase board and marker for each team.
2. 4 fly swatters (You can usually find these at a dollar store.)
3. 1 dictionary or large book per team
1. Please check out the preview to make sure this resource fits your needs.
2. This file is not editable.