This is an entire learning unit for the beginning of 3rd grade that covers life cycles and inherited/non-inherited traits.
It covers the following NGSS standards:
This unit spans at least 21 days and is broken into the following sections:
1. Reproduction is essential to the continued existence of every kind of organism (4 lessons with resources).
2. Plants and animals have unique and diverse life cycles (3 lessons with resources).
3. Assessment 1 - 5 days long. Students will research an organism of their choice and either create a model of the animal's life cycle or write an essay to describe the life cycle.
4. Many characteristics of organisms are inherited from their parents (4 lessons with resources).
5. The environment also affects the traits that an organism develops (1 lesson with resources).
6. In each kind of organism there is variation in the traits themselves, and different kinds of organisms may have different versions of the trait (1 lesson with resources).
7. Assessment 2 - 3 days. Students will student apply their learning of traits in a study of a family of butterflies.
8. Math connections. There are 14 pages of math activities that relate to the science topics covered in this unit. The activities are on multiplication, division, and graphing.