Buying a Car
This packet is a self-guided lesson. It is easy for students to follow and great for emergency lesson plans. The material focuses on teaching students the basics to of buying a car. It is not a math-based lesson, but instead a practical-knowledge based lesson. Where this lesson will give students the knowledge to make a wise consumer choice and to avoid common scams.
Objectives: Students will be able to:
• Identify what should be considered before buying a car.
• Explain the true cost/operating cost of car ownership.
• Identify the different costs associated with car ownership.
• Compare the advantages and disadvantages of buying a new and used car.
• Describe the best steps to take when purchasing a car.
• Identify three common car dealer scams.
1) The Cost of Operating a Car; Reading Comprehension Worksheet.
2) The Step to Take When Buying a Car; Reading Comprehension Worksheet.
3) Common Car Dealer Scams; Reading Comprehension Worksheet.
4) The Cost to Operating a Vehicle; Analysis Worksheet.
5) Buying a New Car vs A Used Car; Analysis Worksheet.
6) The Ownership Cost of a New Car; Analysis Worksheet.
7) Internet Assignment, Car Ownership Costs.
Other Helpful Learning Materials:
Renting an Apartment
Budgeting, LEARNING TO BUDGET
CREDIT, CREDIT SCORES AND RATINGS
Feedback is Greatly Appreciated