An excellent film to view for English, History, or Italian Language classes.
"This is a simple story ... but not an easy one to tell. Like a fable, there is sorrow. And, like a fable, it is full of wonder and happiness."
These are the opening words of the film Life is Beautiful, starring and directed by Roberto Benigni. This Award-winning Italian film tells the story of one family’s experience during the Holocaust.
This film explores the importance of family and a father-son relationship. This is an excellent film to view for thematic exploration in an English class, as part of an Italian language or History class, or for Holocaust study. This film pairs particularly well with “Night” by Elie Wiesel, as the main characters in the film are a father and his son.
Why I Teach this Film:
- Its beautiful writing makes it a wonderful specimen for thematic study.
- It pairs well with Night by Elie Wiesel, which we study in class.
- It provides a gentler option for Holocaust study.
- Year after year, my students love it and say it has found a special place in their hearts.
What's included ...
Over35 pages of materials including ...
- Unit Intro for Teachers: Instructions and Suggestions for Teaching and Assessments
- Posters for your classroom
- Timeline of Events: World War II in Italy
- Background Information: World War II in Italy
- Project & Writing Assignment - Paragraph or Essay Prompt
- Note-taking Organizers
- Poetry Reading and Comprehension Questions
- Discussion Cards in Color and Black & White
- Reflect and Respond Writing Assignment – Paragraph or Essay Theme Prompt
- Essay Questions
- Social-Emotional /Anti-Bullying Focus Prompts
- Crossword Puzzle
- Plot Diagram
- Connections Chart
- Questions for Discussion
- Ticket-to-Leave (4 ways - With or without prompt, Black and White, Color)
Often aligned to the Common Core.
Questions crafted with attention to Bloom's Taxonomy.
"Life is Beautiful" can serve as an excellent text for teaching Author's or Writer's Craft. Deepen your unit and focus on the study of language with my Author’s or Writer’s Craft Introductory Unit
Additional "Night" Study Products:
Night by Elie Wiesel: Unit of Study
If you are interested in having your students read "Night" in book clubs, check out my Night Student Book Club Unit of Study
Night by Elie Wiesel: Assessment Pack
Butterfly Project: How we Honor and Remember the Victims of the Holocaust
Follow Me and find out first about sales, new products, and new freebies! Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on the upper right of this page or from the Language Arts by Lauren Store.
Happy Teaching :)
Life is Beautiful: A Unit of Study created by Lauren Colletti is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License