A comprehensive Lifeskills based unit that allows students to experience owning a business from start to finish. This unit provides teachers with all the tools they will need to setup a classroom business of selling popcorn to the staff in their building. The students are part of the process from making the tags for the bags, to graphing their sales and pitching new business plans. It not only gives students a chance to experience the ins and outs of a business, it also allows them the opportunity to practice social skills through their delivery. Students deliver the bags of popcorn to every staff in the building and work on eye contact, greetings and conversational turn taking. This business model has found to be extremely successful when used in its entirety. The students rotate through 3 stations while the teacher/adult does the cooking. Once the popcorn and stations are complete, the students deliver the bags to everyone who ordered. You will begin to see more and more orders every week as everyone smells the delicious aroma!
What you will find in this packet:
- Intro letter to faculty and staff explaining what Popcorn Friday is. It is best to present this letter to your principal first to get the program approved. Once approved, make a copy of this letter for every staff member in your building and put it in their mailbox.
- Popcorn Order Form- print out multiple copies of this and staple to a large envelope. This should be put in the main office, or designated location at the beginning of the week. Teachers/staff can come down at any point to submit their order. They leave the money in the envelope and then complete a line on the order form. One Friday morning, right before you are about to start making the popcorn, grab this form from the office so you know how much of each order to make.
- Station 1 Directions- Print this out and laminate. Put it in a folder with all the materials for station 1. This is the money station
- Money Record Sheet- This goes in the folder for Station 1. Make multiple copies of this as each student who goes through this center will need a copy.
- Deposit Slip- There are multiple slips on a single page. Print out and cut a bunch and put these in the folder for Station 1.
- Station 2 Directions- Print this out and laminate. Put it in a folder with all the materials for station 2. This is the tag station. Along with decorating the tags, students will also be responsible for writing out the tags using the popcorn order form.
- Bag Tags- these tags can be but and matted on colored construction paper. The kids in this center can decorate and write out tags. Once they are completed, they are stapled to the bag of popcorn as it is folded shut.
- Station 3 Graphing- Print this out and laminate. Put it in a folder with all the materials for station 3. This is the graphing station.
- Graphing Questions low- these questions have visuals for each one to help differentiate for non readers.
- Graphing Questions high- these are the same questions without visuals
- Popcorn Analysis Sheet low- this is another sheet to be used in the graphing station. It has visuals for every question to differentiate for non readers.
- Popcorn Analysis Sheet high- this is another sheet to be used in the graphing station. It is a higher level because it looks at money earned in previous weeks and compares amounts.