Light it Up Writing BUNDLE
This is part of the Super Bundle Light It Up – Integrated Science Language Arts Unit BUNDLE !
Please see the bundle preview.
Light it Up Writing BUNDLE
• Light It Up - Essays
• Light It Up - Idioms and Persuasive
• Light It Up - Quotes
1. Light It Up Essays
• What is Light
• How light moves
• Man-made vs. Natural
• How we see color
• Light in Medicine
2. Light it Up Writing with Idioms and Persuasive
• Beginning to See the Light – narrative about learning
• Blind Spot – O.R.E.O. Persuasive
• More to Him Than Meets the Eye – character change over time
• Out Like a Light – using a hook and moving the plot
• Blind Leading the Blind – “How to” functional text
• Incandescent vs. CFL – Argument (and rebuttal)
• Turn It Off or Leave It On? Persuasive problem solving
• Compare/Contrast using Lightbulb organizer
• Light is, can, has
3. Light it Up Inspirational Quote Writing
Are you a multitasker? If so, you’ll understand why I use these science, character education, figurative language and writing lessons, all wrapped in one! Our science time is extended into writing and character education when we discuss quotes, idioms and sayings. These four inspirational quotes focus on light, and the figurative language of light, darkness and seeing with the heart.
Each prompt includes:
1. Grayscale poster
2. Full Color Poster
3. Print friendly version (perfect for reduced sized in Interactive Note Books)
4. Prewrite graphic organizer
5. Organizer with writing space
6. Quote with writing space
Light it Up Quotes:
1. Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness. Bishop Desmond Tutu
2. The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller
3. There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it. Edith Wharton
4. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King Jr.
1. Class Discussion - Place the full page poster on chart paper and conduct a class discussion prior to writing.
2. Post-it Ideas - Use 3 colors of post-it notes for students interacting with the three questions found in the graphic organizer.
3. Large Poster - Later, I usually choose 3-4 of the post-its in each category to make a whole-class poster, including the student’s name who suggested the idea. This makes a nice centerpiece on a bulletin board for their final writing.
4. Writing About Character Quotes - Three levels of difficulty are included – 1. With graphic organizer and sentence frame support. 2. With graphic organizer, but without supports. 3. No supports and room to illustrate a personal connection.
5. Mini Posters - Print the poster size multiple times on one page. The small posters are great for interactive notebooks. Students make a web of ideas coming from the mini-poster; use it for the rough draft; or have students make their own ways to interact with the quote.
Please visit my store for these supporting documents –
Light It Up Unit BUNDLE
which includes all of the Light It Up Bundles and activities, and a bonus Daily 5 Centers supplement.
• Light It Up – Writing BUNDLE
o Light It Up – Essay Writing
o Light It Up – Idioms and Persuasive Writing
o Light It Up - Inspirational Quotes
• Light Energy Nonfiction Vocabulary BUNDLE
o Light It Up - Vocabulary Word Wall
o Light It Up - Vocabulary 4-Part Game Cards
o Light It Up - Vocabulary Posters
o Light It Up - Vocabulary Foldables
• Light Energy Nonfiction Fluency BUNDLE
o Light Nonfiction Fluency- Mirrors
o Light Nonfiction Fluency- Periscopes
o Light Nonfiction Fluency- Absorption
o Light Nonfiction Fluency- Refraction
o Light Nonfiction Fluency- Shadows
o Light Nonfiction Fluency- Shadow Art
o Light Nonfiction Fluency- Moon Shadows
• Light It Up - Roll Read Graph Word Work
• Light It Up – Nonfiction, Essential Qs, Journal and more
• Light It Up –Science A-Z Supports
The Light It Up bundle contains artwork from these creative talents:
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/The-Enlightened-Elephant http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Ink-N-Little-Things http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Teaching-Super-Power
http://www.raggedyscrappin.com/ (licensed user)
Thank you for your interest in Creative Core Integrations
by Kim Shelley!
*Follow me* - for 50% off new products for the first 48 hours.